More than 75% of American households have a clothes dryer and it happens to be 3rd most consuming appliance after refrigerator and washer. We are so used to it that about half of the people find dryer to be a necessity but is it really? Here are 5 reasons why you should fire your dryer with no regrets:
- Save energy and curb emission. It's hard to believe but air-drying your clothes can reduce carbon footprint of an average household by almost 2,500 pounds a year.
- Save money. We pay around $100 yearly on our energy bill just for the energy dryer consumes. Not even talking about the money spent on a dryer itself.
- Not having a dryer eliminates the risk that it could ever start a dangerous fire. According to a report by FEMA, clothes dryer vents can become clogged with lint, causing more than 15,000 house fires every year.
- It is extremely bad for fabric to be put in a dryer and it is not even about the gentle fabrics like silk, even jeans loose their shape because all the elastic parts of fabric get burnt in the dryer. Make your clothes last longer and air-dry them.
- Dryer sheets. The worst of the worst when it comes to laundry. They not only ruin your clothes but make it less fire resistant, may cause respiratory irritation, skin reaction and exposes yours to hazardous chemicals overall.
The chances that you already have a clothes dryer in your home are rather high and obviously, you don't want to just abandon it and never use again. The solution is easy: either sell it, donate it or save yourself some trouble and get some junk removal company to take care of it. There are a lot of such businesses on the market and we would recommend going for more sustainable companies (for example, UsJunkTrash.com has a strong focus on being ecological and recycling items as much as possible). Don't hesitate and get rid of your dryer today, make spaces for the more simple and clean lifestyle!